Private Land

There are many roads and trails throughout the OHV Area that cross private land. These roads and trails are subject to closure at private land owners’ discretion. Logging and mining occur regularly on these private lands. Use caution when riding these roads and trails and always watch for oncoming traffic and heavy equipment working. To preserve continued access to these trails, respect gate closures and no trespassing signs. It is your privilege, not your right, to use these trails. You are responsible for acquiring permission to use private roads and trails which are not depicted on this map.


Residential Areas

There are a few residential areas adjacent to OHV opportunities within the Shasta-Trinity National Forest. These areas are shown on the map. Please respect residents by keeping noise and dust levels down. Slow down, watch for other vehicles and pedestrians, and limit the time that you remain in residential areas. Your actions will determine the nature of off-highway vehicle use in this area.

Trail Riding and Safety Tips


Purchase and use all required and available safety gear.


Let others know where you are going and when you plan on being back.


Always plan ahead. Get all required maps. Bring overnight emergency supplies for longer rides.


Never ride alone.


Stay on marked and designated roads and trails.


Maintain your vehicle and equipment in safe and optimal operating condition.


Act responsibly and have respect for other recreation users and natural and cultural resources.


Ride Cautiously.


Trail conditions are constantly changing. Be ready for anything. Take all precautions to have a safe and enjoyable trail ride. A good day riding is one with no damages or injuries.


Leaving a Good Impression


• Be conscious of any impacts you are making on the land. Avoid excessive and unneeded wheel spins. Have as little impact as possible.


• If you pack it in, please pack it out. Help maintain the area by keeping it clean.


• Ride single file at safe speeds on the right side of roadways. All roads and trails are two way, so anticipate oncoming traffic. Respect other road and trail users.


• Avoid high speeds and high rpms near residential, camping and picnic areas.


• Stay on designated trails and roads. Cutting switchbacks, creating hill climbs, and riding cross-country cause serious erosion problems. Repairs cost tax dollars and citations cost you dollars.


• Animals have their place in the forest too. Avoid unnecessarily disturbing wildlife. Cut your throttle when you encounter them while allowing them to cross your path.


• Noise issues are the biggest complaint against OHVs by nearby residents and other recreation users. Keep your riding areas open by keeping your machine as quiet as possible. Use and maintain quiet, forest friendly muffler systems. Repack and service mufflers according to the manufacturer’s suggestions.


  • • Yield to non-motorized recreation users.

OHV and ATV Regulations

It is your responsibility to know and abide by all rules and regulations. Please consult the California OHMV website for a complete list of rules and regulations.



• All OHVs (Off-Highway Vehicles) must be currently registered and display registration stickers in the appropriate location per DMV instructions. Out-of-state vehicles must be legally registered in their home state or display a non-residence sticker.


• The Shasta Trinity OHV Area permits year round riding.


• All OHVs must be equipped with a properly installed USDA Forest Service approved spark arrestor.


• A working headlight and taillight are required for night riding.


• All OHVs must remain on existing roads and trails, riding cross-country and creating hill climbs and new trails is not allowed. Riding your ATV or motorcycle in such a manner that may cause environmental damage is not allowed.


• Riding OHVs on county roads is not allowed unless the road is signed otherwise.


• It is illegal to operate an OHV while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or while in possession of an open container of alcohol.


• It is illegal to operate an OHV while carrying a loaded firearm.


• All ATVs and motorcycles must meet current California state sound requirements.


• It is your responsibility to know and abide by all rules and regulations.


• All OHVs must remain on existing roads and trails as shown on the Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM). Riding cross-country and creating hill climbs and new trails is illegal. For official route designation information see the motor vehicle use maps that are available for free at Ranger Stations, and are posted on the Shasta-Trinity National Forest Website here.


• Designation of a road, trail, or area for motor vehicle use by a particular class of vehicle under 36 CFR 212.51 should not be interpreted as encouraging or inviting use or implying that the road, trail, or area is passable, actively maintained, or safe for travel. Motor vehicle designations include parking along designated routes and at facilities associated with designated routes when it is safe to do so and when not causing damage to National Forest System resources.



• All ATVs (All Terrain Vehicles) and motorcycles must meet current California state sound requirements.


• If you would like to have your ATV or motorcycle tested for sound compliance, please call the BLM Redding Field Office at (530) 224-2100 and set up an appointment with the OHV coordinator.


• ATV riders must wear a DOT approved helmet at all times.


• Riding double is not allowed on ATVs, with the exception of ATVs which are specifically made to carry one driver and one passenger


• ATV riders under 18 must possess a safety certificate or be supervised by an adult with the certificate.


• ATV riders under 14 must be under direct supervision of an adult with a safety certificate.


Wildfire Warning

During the hot summer months the risk of wildfire is extremely high. Please refrain from riding in areas that have wildfires burning. Fire direction, intensity, and speed can change in an instant. If you are planning on having a campfire or using a camp stove you will need a campfire permit or you may be fined. Permits are issued for free from the Forest Service. For a list of Forest Service Stations visit the Forest Service website, or the Trinity OHV website.  

Recent fires and drought conditions have increased the potential for trees to fall across roads and trails. This is obvious in areas with standing dead trees, but there is also increased potential for green trees that appear healthy to fall. Incidents of rolling rocks and other debris also increase after fires. Closure orders may be in place around burned areas to protect public safety due to increased hazards. Please contact the Forest Service for the most up to date closure information.

For a list of Forest Service Stations please visit our contacts page or the Forest Service Website.

Emergency services


In Case of Emergency Call 911


Trinity County Sheriff’s Office
101 Memorial Drive, Weaverville, CA 96093
(530) 623-2611

Hospitals/Medical Facilities


Mercy Medical Center
2175 Rosaline Ave., Redding, CA 96001
(530) 255-6000


Directions from Interstate 5

  1. Take the CA-273 via exit number 681B toward Market St.
  2. Turn right onto CA-273 S/Tehema St.
  3. Turn left onto CA-273 S/California St.
  4. Turn right onto Placer St.
  5. Turn left onto West St.
  6. Turn right onto Rosaline Ave.
  7. Go to 2175 Rosaline Ave.

Directions from Highway 299 West of Redding

  1. Go east on CA-299
  2. Turn right onto West St.
  3. Turn right onto Rosaline Ave.
  4. Go to 2175 Rosaline Ave.

Trinity Hospital
60 Easter Ave, Weaverville, CA 96093
(530) 623-5541


From 299 West

  1. Turn right onto Garden Gulch St.
  2. Turn right onto Easter Ave
  3. Go to 60 Easter Ave

Hayfork Community Clinic
6961 California 3, Hayfork, CA 96041
(530) 628-5517